4.30.2011

Day One Hundred Forty Four

Oh, Saturday how I love thee.
We spent the day running various errands; pulled down the art show at the public library and searched for antiques. Now, with a belly full of dinner and heavy eyes (oh, joy...I’ve just spilled a cup of tea on myself...)

Where were we?
Right, I believe I was making my way towards telling you today’s word.

com-mend v. To give praise; to applaud.



I thought immediately of clapping hands, and set out to illustrate this action. Having gotten halfway through the preliminary sketch I realized that clapping hands, when illustrated as opposed to animated, looked exactly like praying hands. As I erased the sketch and thought about what else I could attempt to draw, the idea of religion brewed a little bit in my mind, and led me to thinking about the Middle East and the strong call for democracy there. I’d read an article about the place of women in this new movement, and how important it was that the women in these societies are granted the freedoms that an entire young generation of people have been fighting for. Reflecting on how strongly I supported the fight for women in the Middle East, and how drastically different my life is from theirs, I illustrated a character “commending” a veiled woman.



I like the simple way this turned out, although it does take a bit of explaining.

Thank you for reading; I hope you enjoyed today’s post.

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment