4.09.2011

Day One Hundred Twenty Three




I’m not sure where today went! I believe its speed and lack of productivity had something to do with rising at noon, and the incredible, record-breaking heat. Nevertheless, we managed to have a wonderful dinner, courtesy of my beautiful chef of a mother, and enjoy a rather peaceful country night. Ahh, bliss.

After munching away at the last bits of cake and the odd crumb of food, it was time to work on some art! Having left my poor dictionary at home, I had to cheat on it with my mother’s fancy dictionary to find today’s word. I found a decent one, though, and got down to work.

pes-to n. [lt, fr. Pesto, adj.,
pounded, fr. Pestare to pound, LL pistare, freq. of L pinsere](1937) : a sauce made esp. of fresh basil, garlic, oil, pine nuts, and grated cheese.



So, today’s piece takes a bit of explaining. It began with pesto, and arrived at a very different place.




The story behind this piece begins a few days ago, at Papakino’s on Mass. As we sat waiting for our order, we were informed that they were out of pesto. (Ah hah! A connection!) Although this did not really impact anything that evening, the link from pesto to that half-hour or so got me thinking about the outdoor seating at this pizza place. I’d always loved being perched up on those high chairs; being able to see everything going on while eating a bit of pizza. So, for today’s piece, I illustrated that scene (while putting my own spin on it) and added a basil leaf decoration to the door, to make a connection, however small, to today’s word.
I hope you enjoyed today’s piece and, as always, thank you for reading.
Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment