4.25.2011

Day One Hundred Thirty Nine

Oh, boy! It’s pretty late, isn’t it?

Today was spent lounging about at the Arts Center; a rainy Monday soaked and dripping in the art of others. As I reached the house, I was hit hard with the kind of rare inspiration to create that is impossible to ignore. After sorting out a plan of action, I spent several hours stretching screens, making transparencies, drying emulsion, and, finally, printing! I hadn’t done any printing to speak of since the week-long Valentine’s Day commission in early February, so this was a long-overdue treat. I came up with something I rather enjoy:



The tree is a sketch I did earlier today, and the lettering behind it is a poem (ick) I wrote when I realized I needed text for this piece. (I won’t bore you with the content of the aforementioned poem.)

So, exhausted and covered in paint, I got to work on today’s post (quickly, before it hit midnight).

Today’s word was something (maybe because I live in Kansas and have learned to live without it) I’ve never really been too insane about, but have always enjoyed.

beach n. Pebbly or sandy shore of a lake, ocean, sea, or river.



I decided to go with a Marilyn Monroe inspired, vintage-y take on the beach. The pastels ended up being a little more garish than intended; I’m not used to so much color!




I’m not entirely sure about today’s piece, but it was fun to create. I think her sunglasses make her look rather odd and skeletal in the face, while the illustration remains rather lively everywhere else...hmm.

I hope you enjoyed today’s post; thanks for reading!

Xx
-r

1 comment:

  1. Hiya! You may think it lools garish, but the colors are perfect for the era... color photography and film was in a heady heyday and everything was TECHNICOLOR! nice job Ruby, keep up the great work Love A. L. >__<

    ReplyDelete