4.29.2011

Day One Hundred Forty Three

Today was Final Friday, and we headed downtown to check out some of the local art. I saw a few interesting things, and was inspired to use this next week (and this coming summer) to get back into printmaking. I never seem to have the patience to spend hours crafting and producing a single design. The immediate gratitude of other mediums seems to drive me away from the often gorgeous results of silk screening. Maybe when we finally manage to get a real studio (fingers crossed) I’ll be able to set up and really start producing. Until then, I get to whine about it.

Today’s word went perfectly with my recent exploration of illustrating trees. The first began on a whim in the Arts Center print studio, as I began to doodle. Since then, I’ve been working to refine my tree-drawing skills and learning to shade with pen a bit better.

gnarl n. A hard, protruding knot on a tree.



I grabbed a piece of tagboard and began to sketch. The tree slowly grew up and across the page; with me adding “gnarls” as I went along.





As an afterthought, I added the character on the ground. I shaded her dress to compliment the tree, and to darken her a bit.
A rare occurrence: I’m actually happy with this piece. I hope you are too, and that you’ve enjoyed today’s post. Thanks for reading.

Xx
-r

1 comment:

  1. Rubies... this tree is REALLY good... you've captured the graceful branching shapes perfectly...We Want More Trees!!!
    Love A. L.

    ReplyDelete