4.05.2011

Day One Hundred Nineteen

I’m not sure where today went. It began with a wired girl dashing out the front door to claim a package form a very frightened postman. The arrival (finally!!) of these prints signaled the beginning of a few intense hours of hot-gluing, framing, and muffled cursing. As the shadow boxes reached completion, and were carefully wrapped in paper, I headed to the library to set up the show!



To see more of the shadow boxes (there are five in all) and to check out Auntie Liza’s magnificent monotype prints and vinyl work, come by the Lawrence Public Library lower level any time before the end of April!

Alright, it’s time to get down to business.
Alright, so today’s word, in combination with a collage class I recently started, allowed for a multimedia approach. Because the word itself is rather dry and agonizing (at least, I think so) I decided to use that feeling to illustrate a character.

al-ge-bra n. generalization of math in which symbols represent members of a specified set of numbers and are related by operations that hold for all numbers in the set.



I used my old Algebra II notebook to decorate today’s piece, and illustrated a rather forlorn, frustrated character.






It was incredibly liberating to be able to rip the crap out of something that was once so precious! I loved the look of this character because it reminded me of the times spent crouched over an old notebook, scribbling away. I like the way the pieces of notebook stood out on the page to create sort of a chaotic look in keeping with the utter “blugh” that goes along with Algebra.

As always, thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the post and don’t forget to check out the library show!

Xx
-r

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that someone finally found a viable use for algebra! What a perfect expression – and the dimension is great! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete