4.19.2011

Day One Hundred Thirty Three

It was gray and rainy today. I sat at my desk, working in the dim light as the rain dripped down from the cloudy sky. It wasn’t a spring rain, though, but a harsh, cold and icy reminder that winter has yet to be entirely over. I spent today lounging, reluctantly working through what seemed like endless assignments.

In search of a bit of energy; seeing the potential for some form of life in the creative spark, I sat down to find today’s word. It was an interesting one; offering little in the way of a definition but still opening a wide door.

con-trap-tion n. A gadget.



I thought a lot about how to use this word, and decided to integrate it into a character as opposed to having a character interacting with a “contraption”. I settled on a robotic arm (who doesn’t love a good amputee??).



I like the way the sturdy, cold and heavy look of the arm contrasts with the lighter, softer mood of the flowers. The elements (flowers, tough girl, robot arm) seem to work together by virtue of the fact that they are somewhat at odds. Building off of yesterday’s Gorey background, I experimented with the use of differently spaced groups of parallel lines to add depth and movement to the character’s surroundings.

I hope you enjoyed today’s post; thanks for reading!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment