4.04.2011

Day One Hundred Eighteen

Mmm. I took this Monday slowly; gradually easing into the week while escaping doing any actual work. Bliss. I hope your Monday was as equally relaxing, or at least you can forgive me for so thoroughly enjoying mine.

So, time for some art. I took some serious time with my piece today; working my way through while attempting to break out of the drawing routine.

mum adj. Silent, not speaking.



I wanted to use “mum” in a darker, more in-your-face way. I decided to illustrate a character “keeping mum” against their will. I began, for once, with the eyes. Instead of crafting a face from a quickly drawn oval, I decided to begin with some seriously adorned eyes. After I finished the pencil sketch, I went over it in pen:



Then, I pulled out the pastels and worked to get some definition and color into the piece.




This piece was both interesting and surprising to me for several reasons. For one, I rarely, if ever, work in this large of a format. I did not expect this piece to be this large, and was shocked upon finishing it! I liked the addition of the bow-its bright, pink, girly look almost mocking the fact that she is tied up and kept from speaking.

I hope you enjoyed both today’s post, and this piece. As always, thanks for reading!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment