4.18.2011

Day One Hundred Thirty Two

Today was a good day. Although, any Monday in which one does absolutely no work automatically counts as a good day but I think this one was good despite (and partly because of) that fact. So, I returned home to throw a record on the turntable, brush the notebooks, jewelry and odd antiques from my desk and start in on some art.

Today’s word delighted me. I loved the way it sounded old and unused. It fit right up there with words like “jitter” and “bop”. Sure enough, a Google search later, this word was (approximately) in prime use from the years of 1940 to 1945.

table--hop v. To go from one table to another in order to talk with one’s friends such as in a restaurant.  



I loved this! I decided to illustrate a café at which some table-hopping was occurring. Inspired by Edward Gorey (though not nearly anywhere within the same spectrum of artistic talent) I used cross-hatching to convey a sense of nighttime and depth.





As I finished, all I could think was Oh, boy. This man must have used so many pens... I kept the color confined to the match to emphasize the action taking place. I like the subtlety of the woman sitting at the table, partially hidden by the “gentleman”. I can just imagine a drawn face; red lips pursed beneath narrowed eyes as she watches her date “table-hop” on over to another lady. Hah!

I hope you enjoyed today’s post; thanks for reading!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment