3.17.2011

Day One Hundred

Well it seems like it’s been moments, but apparently this thing’s been going on for 100 days. Who knew?

I really felt the pressure of one hundred days at The Ink Drop throughout the day, as shown by me abandoning any work and heading downtown for a sweaty, windy St. Patrick’s Day parade and then cooking a celebratory dinner.



After a few hours in the kitchen, I’d cooked up, with the much-needed help of my continually verbally abused father, something of a feast.




As I hauled myself back up to a sitting position, I realized I had eaten so much that I was literally unable to sit up without some serious pain. So, in between periods of laying on the couch in shame, I began to sketch.

Oh, wait. I’m getting ahead of myself here...
I should probably let you know today’s word before I take you through the usual process to the unusual result that is today’s piece.

neck-tie n. A narrow strip of material worn around the neck and tied.



After struggling to come up with something incredible, something amazing, something...hundred-day worthy, I stumbled on an idea for today’s word that, while far from brilliant, might just do. As far as hundred-day worthy goes, I figure that this is just another day, and one hundred is just another number. It’s silly to let a number, no matter how round and neat and divisible by 10 it is, get in the way of relaxed artistic freedom.
The idea of a model and a product really appealed to me for today’s word; something about a necktie made me think of a sophisticated, interesting character and an eye-catching image. After opening up the box of pastels, I thought why not? and threw in some serious color for today’s project.  



I think this is my favorite: If I were to do this over, I think I'd crop it right here and just leave it be. 

I’m really enjoying the way this piece came out. I haven’t had much experience with using tons of color, especially mixing pastels, but I actually liked the end result.

It’s been a quick hundred days, and I plan to continue and hope to seriously enjoy the remainder of this project. Thank you all for reading; I cannot express how much I appreciate having an audience. Until tomorrow,
Xx
-r

1 comment:

  1. you are so awesome and i love you to death!

    ReplyDelete