3.23.2011

Day One Hundred Six

Today began with a panicky clawing at consciousness-the kind of awakening that begins with a gasp, continues with a desperate flailing about, and ends with a shin being slammed full-force into a bedside table. The morning took a turn for the better, though, after a cup of black coffee and a trip to the auntie’s. I completed a top-secret project, and returned home to labor away on my laptop for the remainder of the day.

As a disclaimer, I will state that someone *cough* my father *cough* stole my only working mechanical pencil, and I was forced to draw today’s piece without the ability to erase. The result? An interesting, out-of-proportion/perspective pen and ink cartoon.

ra-di-o n. The technique of communicating by radio waves; the business of broadcasting programmed material to the public via radio waves.  



As I sat staring at the TV, I remembered (okay, not technically remembered but remembered hearing about) a time when radio shows were as common a source of entertainment as television is now. I thought about the largely lost relationship between families and their radios. Now, when every detail is presented in full; thrown harshly in the faces of audiences, I think it is sad that almost nothing is left to the imagination. It is as if people participate less in their entertainment and, therefore, are less able to play-to be creative. For example, a book, even a radio show, forces the audience to make decisions (consciously or not) about how to interpret the story. After a while, a reader/listener will begin to create their own personal version of the story-to build on the framework provided by the author in order to supply the senses left alone by the entertainment. With TV, this does not seem to be allowed or encouraged. Oh well, I’ll stop lamenting and start drawing.





I drew a quick sketch of a young girl lying in front of a radio. Up on her elbows, she’s listening intently. I like this sketch because the character is in an unusual pose for me as an artist, and I really identify with the posture.

Thanks so much for reading; I hope you have a great night!

Xx
-r 

No comments:

Post a Comment