3.30.2011

Day One Hundred Thirteen

I cheated.

Today, I broke the rules.

Scratch that, I bent them.

Now, before you click away in disgust at this blogger’s shedding of artistic integrity, would you like to know what happened?

Since this is really a one-way conversation, and I’d like the chance to explain myself, I’ll go ahead and tell you anyway even if you really don’t care to know.

So, it goes like this...

I collect my ripped and pathetic dictionary from its resting place on the floor under the couch (what a poor abused little book) and stop on the first page I come to. My eyes rest on not one, but two words! Both incredible, both great sources of inspiration, both incredibly fitting! This is where I bend the rules a little...I read the definitions, I ponder, I brood...and I PICK one of them. Although the words are intended to be chosen randomly (so as to keep this artist on her toes) I believe making the choice between “flounder” and “flounce” was a necessary and meaningful one.

flounce n. A gathered piece of material attached to the upper edge of another surface, as on a curtain. v. To move with exaggerated tosses of the body.



I illustrated a strong, determined character to incorporate the choice between “flounder” and “flounce”. Despite a certain amount of floundering, I wanted today’s character to choose to flounce. To choose the light, the airy, the bubbly, over the frustration, fear, and discontent.





As usual, the hemline came up a bit short (I tend to draw the mile long legs last and, as such, have no way in which to cover them up to a decent height.) but I like the way this turned out. I incorporated my new favorite shade of orange, adding bits of pink into it to redden it up and make it blend more successfully with the bright raspberry color of the rest of the dress.

I hope you enjoyed today’s post, and can someday forgive me for rearranging a few rules.
As always, thank you for reading.

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment