3.03.2011

Day Eighty Six

I had an interesting, semi-productive day today. I managed to churn out yet another sketch and attend a play at an old school...

That's me, on the right. Well, my feet.


For today’s project, I attempted a different, more abstract style of illustration. Maybe it’s just the constant episodes of Project Runway and Next Top Model that air on afternoon television, but fashion (as an art, an idea, a way of life) has sunk it’s perfectly manicured nails deep into my all-too-willing brain.

So, at the risk of becoming every other young woman my age, I’ve decided to indulge this recent obsession with all things (good or bad) fashion related and continue to illustrate and study. Why not, right?


far-ther adv. To or at a more distant point. adj. Most distant; farthest.



Without thinking, I just began to sketch. I was inspired by a few dresses I’d seen today, and a vintage-y look. I used the runway to illustrate the concept of “farther”.





I like the way this turned out; it was very freeing to draw a simple sketch of the (greatly exaggerated) human form without obsessing over how each curve looked and if everything lined up in a semi-realistic way. I like that the runway is as long as it is; it makes the whole experience seem larger than life. In a way, I think, it is some kind of unreal, fragile existence. It’s fascinating that so many people dedicate so much time, energy, and obsession for a few moments and a short (often devastating) career. All for something that does not feed, heal, or house anyone. But, in a way, it does all of these things (except feed...I would really argue the opposite). It’s an interesting dilemma; does something so superficial and pointless on the surface really have a deeper meaning? Maybe I’ll never figure it out; that’s alright. I don’t mind being perched between cynicism and awe.

I hope you enjoyed today’s post; thank you for reading!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment