3.22.2011

Day One Hundred Five

Since I am heading off to a concert this evening, I figured I’d make this an early post as opposed to a desperate, lame attempt at a post around 11:58 when I return home.

Today’s word really made me think. Although I was lucky enough to grow up in a home (and a decade) where the color of one’s skin and the money in one’s pockets was as much a basis for judging as the color of their socks, today’s word has maintained a large presence throughout my life.

e-qual adj. Of the same measurement, quantity, or value as another; having the same privileges or rights.



Thinking back to public school, I remembered the approach to race that most young people seemed to have. Throughout the school (to the great shock and mixed response of the teachers) young men and women wore their races, and, often, racial slurs as badges of pride. If you were black, you yelled it. If you were Native American, you yelled it. If you were Indian, you yelled it. As a little white girl, I didn’t have much to be yelling about, but I was always inspired by the attitude of many of my peers. I thought a lot about the options I had for “equal”. Drawing on my public school experience and my drawing style, I decided to take a girly angle.





I drew three different girls. All of them equally young, equally beautiful, and equally interesting. Instead of doing their makeup, or coloring their faces, I left them as simple line sketches. I wanted to emphasize the similarity, and also the differences between these three girls. Using my makeup kit (I wanted to be authentic) I drew lines of color, creating a color scheme. I don’t really know much about makeup, but I really like the way this came out.

Thanks so much for reading; I hope you enjoyed today’s post!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment