3.25.2011

Day One Hundred Eight

I'd like to start of by mourning my poor dictionary, who, in his old age, has finally become two dictionaries. I believe the introduction of tape will be required if we are to continue in our partnership. 



As I have been bringing my camera with me everywhere I go for a week-long project, I had plenty of material to share with you about my evening. As some of you art folk might know, today was the Final Friday art walk on Mass. There wasn’t much going on, though, as it was incredibly windy and cold and something to do with testosterone and sports was keeping the whole town around any large screen they could find. But, we stopped in to see our friends at The Phoenix Gallery



And paid a visit to the Hobbs Taylor Lofts to check out some art. I practiced shooting from the hip so as not to alarm the people gathered around the art. (I always feel as if I will get pulled aside and accused of stealing ideas.) Anyway, I ended up with an interesting shot taken indirectly into a couple of halogen lights. Although it doesn’t actually display any art, I thought it embodied the sort of low, jazzy, vibe that pushed its way through the crowd.



After seeing some art, I returned home to snarf down some long-awaited food and throw together some art. I was inspired today to attempt a piece *gasp* without the aid of pen or pencil. Pastel and the abstract stayed heavily in my mind this evening as I tossed the use of fine lines to the wind and stared, in a somewhat terrified manner, at my box of pastels.
Taking a giant, dizziness-inducing breath, I got down to work.

em-press n. a woman who rules as an emperor’s wife or widow.



My first attempt ended in disaster as my father yelled in exclamation at an item on Antiques Road Show.



Having gotten an idea of the piece I wanted to create, I ran, cursing, for another piece of paper before “the magic left my hands”. The piece came together nicely, though it did not exclaim “empress”, but seemed to whisper “geisha”. I added a background of cherry blossoms-I have always found them to be one of the most beautiful backgrounds.

I started by drawing the piece lightly, 



and then blended the pastels to soften the look. 



I really enjoy the way this piece came out. I wish I could have let go more and done something more abstract, but, as they say, “baby steps”.

In other news, my website is now live, and will serve as an easier and more interesting way to not only read The Ink Drop, but to get to know this artist's work outside of the blog a little better. If you would like to check it out:


rubyloveartist.com

As always, thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed today’s post.

Xx
-r

1 comment:

  1. Niiiice! no mention of t-nails tho!!! Had fun with you last night... your work is beautiful!
    A. L.

    ReplyDelete