3.15.2011

Day Ninety Eight

After a long day (my feet have never been happier to be flat) I’ve plunked myself down in front of the TV to bring you the latest update.

The connection between today’s word and today’s art piece is somewhat vague, but I think it translates nicely.

con-ju-gate adj. To change the form of a verb; to join in pairs.



As I am in the process of learning French, I am no stranger to conjugating verbs. So, of course, this word led me to thinking about French and what a beautiful language it is. This, in turn, led to me remembering an interesting moment that happened earlier this afternoon. (Still with me? Trying to connect the dots here...)

So, I walked by an older man and his companions today who had accidentally cut me off on the sidewalk, and it turned out they were French. As he passed, without even turning towards me, the man tossed a simple, low, “Je suis très désolé.” Almost inaudible, this simple sentiment stayed with me the rest of the day. For those unfamiliar with French, this is a formal version of “I’m sorry”. I think this moment stayed with me because this was more than just an encounter with someone speaking a foreign language (still something incredible here in Lawrence), but the (unfortunately rare) expression of a gentleman. Instead of an “excusez-moi”, or even a “pardon”, he threw in an entire “Je suis très désolé.” Ah, I wish more people (including myself) made the effort.

Well, now that I’ve told you the story behind today’s piece, I should probably let you see it already!




I usually seriously struggle with drawing men, especially trying to draw them somewhat realistically, but today’s piece was an exception. For some unknown reason, today’s piece seemed to flow effortlessly onto the paper. It was quite a pleasure to draw.

I hope you enjoyed today’s piece; thank you for reading.

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment