3.29.2011

Day One Hundred Twelve

Hmm. Waiting, waiting.

 I’d like to say happy birthday to my one and only older brother-so grateful you are with us. After a bit of celebratin’ around some Chinese takeout and a disturbing movie, it was time to retire, full and sleepy (thanks MSG) to my room and see if I could churn out anything about my art today that made sense.

I really enjoyed today’s word, especially since we have a running joke in the family about miniature and, for some reason, hysterical objects originating with the “Penny Pizza”. For those of you not “in” on the joke, it is incredibly hard to explain just why this is so funny. I think the whimsical notion of baking pizzas the size of pennies in a penny pizza oven just gets us going. Once you start thinking about it, so many bits of everyday life fit into the penny pizza story. After, I’m sure, confusing most of you poor folks, I will continue on with our word...

thim-ble n. A small cap-like protection for the finger, worn while sewing.



I remembered, as a young girl, receiving sewing kits for birthdays and at Christmas. Although they always included a thimble, I was never able to use them (except for spare Monopoly playing pieces) as they were always too large for my fingers. However, I’d always thought the texture and shininess of the thimble was interesting.
For today’s piece, I wanted to imagine a very different (and impossible) use for the thimble to go along with the whimsical memories it brought to mind. I decided to greatly alter the relative size of the thimble to other everyday objects, and use it as a dinner table.





I thought the sweetness of the flowers and the white tablecloth contrasted nicely with the bumpy and tough texture of the thimble “table”. I like presence of the high backed chairs and their distance from the table-as if a nice dinner had been interrupted before it began. The text below the illustration means “a little table” in French.
I sincerely hope you enjoyed this post; thanks for tuning in!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment