3.09.2011

Day Ninety Two

Like every other Wednesday, today was an art day. Although I had only faced two days of schooling, it felt long overdue. I managed to get most of the way through making an amazing book (thank you Auntie Liza!!), and get a little darkroom time in.




After a break for dinner and a (sort of) nap, it was time for the next day at The Ink Drop.

Today’s word made me think a little bit. Because today’s word is (sometimes) a noun, I wanted to avoid simply illustrating it literally. So, I went with kind of a different version of it.

fire n. The chemical reaction of burning, which releases heat and light. v. To have great enthusiasm; to ignite or cause to become ignited; to bake in a kiln; to discharge a firearm or explosive; to let a person go from a job; to dismiss.



Woah, that’s a lot of “fire”. Anyway, I wanted to incorporate the word fire into a character somehow. And then I thought, ooohh hair!! I decided to use pastels to create the look of her hair being on fire.




I used shades of red, orange and yellow to create the color of the “flames”, and added some black and gray pastel to the tips of the locks in order to give her hair more depth and a smoky, burnt look. I also added some pink pastel to her cheeks and mouth to give her some life. I like that she looks a little surprised by her hair, but isn’t too alarmed by it.

I hope you enjoyed today’s post; thanks for reading!!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment