2.07.2011

Day Sixty Two

Found my way into new projects this week. Although it is only Monday, things are looking extremely busy. It’s a wonderful thing; a packed schedule.

So, today’s word was an easy one. As soon as I found it, I began to sketch. Although it brings to mind the elderly, I wanted to go younger with it.

frail adj. Delicate; weak; easily damaged.



This word made me think of the fashion world. While the argument is far from new, I just have to say the way the female figure is represented in fashion is extremely misleading. Although I am entirely against the overly skinny, obviously unhealthy models, I have to say that I do find a strange beauty in the desperation and frailty that must be present in their day-to-day lives. I decided to illustrate that interesting combination of tragic frailty and beauty.



 Initially, I did a simple sketch of a very frail girl. I liked the detail on the dress, but it just wasn’t enough to “make” the image. 




Unsatisfied, I leaned more towards the modeling aspect of “frail” to create this pencil sketch. I wanted to create a character that was weak yet strong; glamorous yet undone. I hope you enjoyed today’s post. Thanks for reading!
Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment