2.24.2011

Day Seventy Nine

Ah, more snow. I’m cuddled up with a hot cup of cocoa, basking in the warm glow of both my laptop and the TV. (You know, because staring at just one screen is soo 2010) Frequent peeks out the front door have confirmed that it is still snowing, still cold and still winter. (I thought we’d escaped it for a while there, but no such luck.)

Today’s word shocked me. Not because of the word itself, but because of its timing. I spent a while thinking about what exactly, out of the thousands of possibilities, I wanted to create using this word as inspiration.

E-gypt n. A country located in northeast Africa and southwest Asia.



Immediately, of course, “Egypt” brought the recent revolution to mind. Although I do not claim to know every detail, I did follow the revolution as best I could. Although there were many things about this revolution that both inspired and fascinated me, there was one image that struck me most. Beyond the masses of people, the incredible speed of political change and the images of people gathered on and around tanks, there is one image that has stayed vividly in my mind. This image is the hundreds of thousands of people in Tahrir Square stopping to pray. From the moment I saw the first photograph of this, I was amazed by not only the dedication of the Egyptian people but by the beautiful work of art created by a synchronized movement of hundreds of thousands of people. Although I have never put much faith in, well, faith, I am fascinated by this gesture.

So, for today’s piece, I decided to illustrate Egyptians praying in Tahrir Square. It was difficult to get the angle of the bodies correctly but, after a hundred or so, it got a little difficult.





I wish this drawing could have been better; it does not do the incredible feat of the Egyptians justice. Ah well, I’ll get there eventually.

Thank you for reading; I hope you enjoyed today’s post. Have a great weekend! (Yes, I know it’s only Thursday but I think we deserve to celebrate the coming weekend early.)
Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment