2.12.2011

Day Sixty Seven

After finishing off the last few prints, and packaging up the Valentine’s order, it was time to head out to the Mama’s. Julia Child taught us how to make super complicated, super delicious mashed potatoes and, after eating as much (or more) food as I could, it was time to settle down at the table with some paper and a pencil.

I absolutely love today’s word. Maybe it’s just due to Johnny’s adopted last name, but this word makes me think of the delightfully grimy, often angry, always outrageous punk scene.

rot-ter n. A person who is really bad.


I love this definition. It is so simple; it’s almost childish. So, back to those *#$% punks... I wanted to illustrate a loveable “rotter” as opposed to drawing someone truly mean-spirited. I thought to myself, “What better to embody my idea than a strong, outrageous punk girl?” So, this is just what I drew.





I must say that I’m not entirely satisfied with this piece; I think there’s quite a bit of room for improvement, but it’s a start. I had a bit of trouble deciding on attire; the classic “punk” style is not one I am familiar with illustrating. However, after spending a semester of 8th grade doing research for a paper entitled “The Origins of Punk” (Oh, how “angry-14-year-old” of me), I had enough exposure to get the basic idea. I stopped just short of adding safety pins; I desperately wanted to avoid going the Hot Topic route.

Thanks for reading, those of you that are; have a great night and continue to enjoy your weekend.


Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment