2.09.2011

Day Sixty Four

As per the usual, today I took the day off from school and worked on art. After dragging my butt out of bed at the crack of dawn (10:45), I got to work. The silk screens were stretched, dried, coated with emulsion, burned, washed, and ready to go by the time lunch rolled around. Two down...3 to go. Oh, boy this will be a long week. I have to say, though, today was a very successful day. It’s great (and exhausting) to get so many things done in such a short time. There is still so much to do!! Speaking of things to do, I should probably get around to talking about today’s art...

Alright, so, today’s piece evolved from a series of sketches; each a bit better than the last. As opposed to my usual beginning with a clear idea, I began with an abstract one. Before I continue, though, I should tell you the word:

tip v. To slant from the horizontal or vertical. n. Extra money given as an acknowledgement of a service; a gratuity; a helpful hint.



So, before graphite met paper, I knew I wanted to illustrate someone “tipping”. As I experimented with different postures, I finally settled on one. Although this is a little more extreme than simply “tipping”, the word inspired me to use a perspective I have little or no experience using. It was a very interesting exercise, and I like the way it came out:




In case you are not able to tell, this is a woman who has leapt off a building. I liked experimenting with this perspective, and wanted to illustrate the feeling of tipping slowly off of something.

Thank you for reading; I hope you enjoyed today’s post. Have a great night!
Xx
-r

3 comments:

  1. Heya! I'd love to see the previous few moments prior to the post-tipping event! show us the story!! and congrats on all the work you've accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish there was a like button here lol liking this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!
    @Liza The events leading up to the "tipping" are for YOU to create in your head. This way, there can be many different stories. xo!

    ReplyDelete