2.26.2011

Day Eighty One

Oh, Ink Drop...why must I be so sleepy?? I guess I’d better get started on today’s post before my head droops so low it hits the keyboard...

I was joined today by my always faithful, always funny accomplice of a brother. I truly envy his artistic freedom and the incredible speed at which he expresses it.




Today’s word conjured up images of frumpy old men. You know the sweater-vest-wearing, philosophizing, tired professor type. So, naturally, I drew a stylish young woman.

cor-du-roy n. A durable cotton fabric which has a ribbed pile.



Fashion (in my limited experience) is all about pulling pieces of the world around you (even the not-so-attractive ones) and creating something fresh and interesting. So, for today’s piece, I wanted to do this with the word “corduroy”. Using a very old fashion idea, I decided to have a thin, glamorous woman wearing a tailored version of a man’s outfit. I thought that a thermal button-up shirt and corduroy pants with braces would be a vintagey, masculine outfit to be taken and altered for a fashionable woman.



I really like the way this turned out-it was one of the easier pieces to churn out. It felt as if it drew itself. 
(It’s wonderful to be back into illustration after a short break.) I hope you have a great night! Thanks for reading.

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment