2.01.2011

Day Fifty Six

Ooh! It’s a blizzard out there! I spent the morning wrapped around my space heater scanning negatives and attempting to get some school work done. I would’ve loved to go out and shoot, but the 30 mph winds were a little discouraging. Maybe tomorrow...although, with a high of 13 degrees, maybe that won’t be such a good idea either. Suck it up, right? It’s not like frostbite ever killed anyone...or...wait...

Today’s word kind of threw me off. Not because it is too obscure, open-ended, or strange but because it is seemingly very limited. As I was coming up with no decent alternatives, I decided to simply illustrate today’s word.

met-ro-nome n.  An instrument designed to mark time by means of a series of clicks at exact intervals.



I did a little research on metronomes to pick the most recognizable design. Because most of them nowadays would be digital (and that’s no fun at all), I opted for the “old fashioned” design.




I decided to use sheet music as my background and, knowing nothing about reading, much less writing, sheet music, I pulled interesting-looking notes from several different pieces. I’m sure my old orchestra teacher would be...ehh...proud. I went over the background design partially in pen, and left large areas pencil. I didn’t want the already very angular metronome to be sitting in front of straight black lines, so I attempted to create a freer, more organic look while still highlighting areas of the music.

As always, I hope you enjoyed today’s post. Thank you for reading, and stay warm!!

Xx
-r

1 comment:

  1. This is quite cool. :) Also. Haha. I like the mention of Ms. Peterson. Terrifying memories..

    ReplyDelete