2.25.2011

Day Eighty

Today was a sleepy day. Time seemed to alternate between speeding by and dragging on endlessly. I managed to squeeze in a couple hours in the darkroom and emerged with a couple prints.



I experimented with the new(ish) technique of scratching the photo in order to get rid of parts of the emulsion.



I really like the look of it on the left side of this photograph, but I don’t think it works as well on the right. I hope, sometime, I will be able to find the appropriate use for this technique. For now, I will keep trying.  

Today I decided to get my drawing “mojo” back. Things in the illustration world have been a bit...blah...as you may have been able to tell. With 285 days left in this project, I can’t begin thinking of it as a chore, or I won’t be able to stick with it. So, picking up my dictionary with gusto, I got down to work.

Today’s word took me a while to figure out; I had quite a bit of the piece done before I knew what direction I wanted to take it in.

di-ver-sion n. The act of diverting from a course, activity or use; something that diverts or amuses.



I wanted to draw a very business-like character who’d gotten distracted. I wanted the “diversion” to be something colorful; something childish.
I started by drawing a pencil sketch and then going over it in pen; I planned to use pastels and didn’t want the pencil to smudge with the pastel when I blended the pigment.





Then, I used a different color of pastel for each balloon and blended the pastel to give the balloons a smooth look. I really like the way this came out; I’m happy to have my “mojo” back.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post; thanks for reading! I hope you have a great weekend!
Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment