1.01.2011

Day Twenty Five

Day twenty five?? This is just insane! Happy New Year everyone. Hope you are all looking forward to this coming year!!

When I first came across today’s word, it made me think of the effortlessly cool style so many people strive to achieve. I thought about the contrast between a crisp, clean style and the images that today’s word brings to mind. So, I decided to use the word as an influence for today’s piece in a more abstract way. Would you like to know the word?? Hmm??

shab-by  adj.  Worn out; ragged.



As I mentioned before, I like the contrast between shabby and sharp, and used that for today’s piece.

The character herself is sharply dressed and far from shabby. 

I used a few different techniques to achieve the shabby, dirty look for the background...

The background is made from an old Love Garden (record shop) bag that I cut a piece from and folded over.


I then crumpled it up and sanded it to make is soft and leathery.

Amidst cries of “what the hell is burning?!” I took a lighter to the edges of the paper and added some black paint between the pages to darken it up a little. 


I ripped the drawing from the page and sanded it lightly to create a faded look, and then glued it to the paper bag.



Shabby? I think yes...
Enjoy your night!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment