12.31.2010

Day Twenty Four

Happy New Year’s Eve, people! I’m sort of drifting between being relieved that the year is over and looking around in surprise wondering where the hell it went. Oh well, time for 2011, right? Jeez, it’s like living in a science fiction movie. Who ever thought we’d get to 2011??


So, today’s word fit perfectly with an antique oceanography book I had been given to use for art projects. As much as it pains me to pull the pages from the book, it made a great background for today’s artwork.

Oh yes…word!

sail-ing  n.  The skill of managing a ship.


My grandmother, when she was younger, sailed on the Pacific racing and transporting boats back and forth for those too busy to experience the incredible adventure that is sailing. In honor of her (she also happens to be the person who gave me the oceanography book) I drew a picture of a young girl on a sailboat. After my father bought a sailboat (although we only sail on lakes), I was able to understand the wild thrill of being on a ship. The best place to stand is against the mast. Out of the way of the sail and jib, you are able to see everything as the wind makes you free and wild. Anyway, you’re probably tired of reading my ramblings...so I’ll let you see today’s art:

It began in pencil...



And traced in pen,




Please enjoy! See you all next year! ß sorry, couldn’t help myself...


Xx!
-r

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this one! so whimsical and a fun use of exisiting illustrations...Keep it up Rubykins!

    ReplyDelete