1.15.2011

Day Thirty Nine

Lovely late evening. Had an incredible dinner with our English and Italian neighbors. There was talk of music, politics and burning down the Vatican. I saw my first glass of wine used as a slide for an electric guitar...innovative? I think yes. The night wound down with some slow jazz and gifts of beautiful European clothes (custom Turkish leather coat, dresses and jackets from Spain and Italy...) are you jealous yet?

drift  v.  To be driven or carried along by or as if by currents of air or water; to move along the line of least resistance; to move about aimlessly; to be carried along with no guidance or control; to accumulate in piles , as sand; to deviate from a set course; in the western U. S., to drive livestock slowly to allow grazing.


I think many people, especially those that are my age, struggle with “drifting”. With or without a passion in life it is, in my experience, often difficult to find “direction”. I will stop here; I could write for days on this subject and end up nowhere. I don’t think there really are any big-picture answers on the subject of how to live your life, and I’m okay with that.

Now for today’s piece...
I wanted to illustrate the relaxed and free aspect of the word “drift”. Watercolors seemed to be a good fit. I began with a simple pen and ink sketch (jeez!! if I had a dollar for every time that phrase appeared on this blog...) and then painted over it with watercolor paint.


I hope you enjoyed this piece, your evening, and the wonderful people that surround us all.

Good Night.

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment