1.29.2011

Day Fifty Three

Attended a lovely dinner party this evening. I tried brussels sprouts flavored with bacon and almonds for the first time. They were delicious. A few dozen Billie Holiday songs and three or four intellectual conversations later, here we are.

After reading today’s word, I was feeling torn. Because this word has multiple (and very different) definitions, I found myself wanting to incorporate both definitions into today’s piece. So, I did. How successful I was is for you to judge. But first, the word!

re-flect v. To throw back rays of light from a surface; to give an image, as from a mirror; to ponder or think carefully about something.



Immediately, I thought of a person standing with their hand on a mirror, looking at their reflection. Although I have found this scene depicted in a variety of mediums, I still enjoy it. I think the point of connection between the person and their reflection is fascinating. It is like looking at two identical people who “grow” from one source; that hand pressed to the glass. I decided to illustrate this (as best I could) but have the character seeing a version of themselves in the distant past. 




I wanted to make use of multiple definitions of the word “reflect”; I wanted to show a person both being reflected in a mirror and reflecting on the past. I’m still not satisfied with the angle of the girl in the mirror, but I decided to avoid creating any more distracting eraser smudge and just stick with what I had.

I hope you enjoyed today’s post! Thank you for reading!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment