1.08.2011

Day Thirty Two

Wow, what a day. As I was battling with silk screening and continuing my search for the “perfect” medium with which to reproduce my art, I realized that today would not be the kind of day I’d hoped for. But hey, there are more days ahead.

Something happened today that has not happened in the (admittedly short) history of this blog...

I forgot my dictionary...DUH DUH DUHHH...

To my great relief I was not struck down by lightning, no walls fell around me...a quick call to my father (back at the house) allowed this project to continue as planned.

in-de-pen-dent  adj.  not dependent: as: not requiring or relying on others (as for care of livelihood): being enough to free one from the necessity of working for a living

Google offered a multitude of definitions to choose from, but I decided that this particular one best fit the idea behind today’s piece. I like the contrast between versions “independent” featured here. What I mean is, the first definition is the beginning of your adult life; you are moving out and are responsible for your own decisions and the second definition is towards the end; you are independent in the sense that (if you’re one of the lucky few) you do not have to work. Although today’s drawing focuses on the first definition, I like the idea of becoming independent over and over throughout your life.



The placement of the word “independent” represents the mixed emotion I have when it comes to leaving home and becoming a (somewhat) responsible adult. The excited anticipation of incredible freedom is mixed with terror at the thought of managing an adult life and finding a way to pay for adventure that I am seemingly hurtling towards. Although being independent is usually seen as positive, I wanted to do a sketch showing a mixed attitude towards what the word represents.

I hope you enjoy.

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment