6.26.2011

Day Two Hundred One

For once in the history of this blog (okay, that’s a little dramatic...I think I’ve posted this early before) we have an early post! I didn’t want to be scribbling something out at the last minute on my flight, so I decided to do the responsible thing and actually do some thought-out art on time.

Today’s word was one that I’ve found difficult to illustrate. The job of the illustrator/artist/what-have-you when it comes to things like this is really to take a flat area and bring it to life. To trick the eye into accepting something it knows is not real. Knowing how to capture the correct perspective plays a key part in this; it’s one of the most difficult things, in this artist’s opinion, to get good at. For today’s word, getting the correct perspective was extremely important.

chasm n. A very deep crack in the earth’s surface.



I really enjoyed the idea of having a kind of creepy “chasm” with a few little creatures sort of peeking their way out of it. I began with two crooked lines, which I then shaded strategically to create the sense that the space between them was a steep descent.




Opting, as usual, for simplicity, I decided to keep the characters more mysterious and leave them as just eyes. Although this sketch could definitely use some improvement, I’m fond of the way the shading came out. I wasn’t sure I could bring that kind of angle out semi-successfully-I guess it’s good to experiment.

Enjoy your Sunday-thank you, as always, for stopping by.

Xx
-r

1 comment: