6.20.2011

Day One Hundred Ninety Five

Ow.

I’m working my way into some serious soreness after roller derby practice. I fell quite hard on my butt; I’m hoping for my first real roller derby bruise.
Fingers crossed.

As I sat and sipped a mug of peppermint tea, I came across a word that I knew I had to illustrate. After seeing a showing of sketches downtown today, I’d gotten it into my head to create something very light and airy using pencil. Today’s word provided a good opportunity to explore both subjects and a style I do not often incorporate into my artwork.

field mouse n. A small mouse inhabiting fields and meadows.



I have had a bit of trouble in the past with drawing plants and such, but I decided to forge on and try it again in today’s piece. After all, a field mouse needs a field.




I blended the pencil quite a bit to soften the piece up and to better integrate the various elements. I wanted the blades of grass and wheat to seemingly stem from one single place; becoming more defined and separate as they grew higher. Although he’s quite small, I like the way this little field mouse turned out.

I wouldn’t stick with this style; I prefer the clean contrast of a fine pen on paper to the more subtle look of pencil, but it’s always good to experiment.

I hope you enjoyed your Monday; thank you for reading.

Xx
-r 

No comments:

Post a Comment