6.22.2011

Day One Hundred Ninety Seven

This evening routine has slowly become my favorite part of my day. What once was a chore has become a savior. Okay, maybe not quite “savior” but a pretty good method of decompression.

After a few hours of sleep, I ran...er...dragged my feet...down to the darkroom to knock out the development of a couple rolls of film. The “mystery” roll turned out to consist of several photos of a dead bird-just the pick-me-up this magnificent day called for.



 After successfully bringing to life a few decent images, I headed outside to try and get out of my head.

It didn’t work, though.

I took today’s word and ran with it a tiny bit-the illustration doesn’t quite fit the technical definition of the word. Then again, this is MY blog. So, I guess...deal.

bay n. The inlet of a body of water; a main division or compartment.



For some reason, this word reminded me of a small seaside town we stayed in while in France. From the centre ville (city center) area, you could see the road winding up over a hill; supported by a large stone bridge of sorts. As you drove into town from our house, the beach arched around, ending with these magnificent stone arches. Although it has been more than a year since I’ve set eyes on this scene, I can see it in my mind as clearly as if I was standing there.




I did a rough sketch of the Banyuls beach; putting emphasis on the texture of the stone. I have a difficult time sketching a realistic beach in pen, but I tried to convey the choppy water. Although this beach was pretty sheltered compared to open ocean, it was usually very windy during the day; the water stayed pretty lively.

I hope someday to return to this beach, maybe to get a decent picture of it this time.

I hope you enjoyed whatever day this is.

Xx
-r

1 comment:

  1. I thought about ordering a large format versi0on of this photo because I love it so much. Then I thought I might appear rather morbid to those I invite over. Then I thought, screw them. So get working, sister and let me know how much (not under 30). Also, bien sur, j'adore le dessin: c'est excellent and il me fais triste.

    ReplyDelete