6.13.2011

Day One Hundred Eighty Seven

Today passed the way a blissful summer day should. The hours slipped by slowly and peacefully as my buddy and I dashed around town-enjoying the brief reprieve from the sweltering heat. (Soon to return tomorrow with the expected high of 95...) I’ve spent the last few days trying to stay out of my head; trying to shake this weird nihilistic mood I’ve gotten into. The problem is...I kind of need my head.

Today’s word was a difficult one.
Not because it was particularly unusual or difficult to use-it was the opposite, actually.

dull adj. Stupid; lacking in intelligence or understanding; insensitive; having a blunt edge or point; not intensely felt; arousing no interest or curiosity; not bright; overcast of gloomy; unclear. v. to make or become dull; to blunt or to make blunt.



As I read this word, and its definition, I began to loathe it. “Dull” went against everything I strive to do. Not just within my art, but throughout my entire life. Almost offensive in nature, I hesitated to even contemplate ways to illustrate such a word.

After a few long minutes, though, I took a deep breath and made an attempt to get over myself.




I wanted to illustrate a character who, although not necessarily “dull” themselves, was experiencing a bit of dullness. I can almost hear the exasperated “sigh” making its way from her mouth.

I hope you all did something good with your weekend-I certainly skipped out on that one.

Enjoy, and stuff.

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment