12.15.2010

Day Eight

First I have to apologize for the lateness of today’s post! I have plenty of excuses but any apology followed by a “but” isn’t really a very good apology.

I was kind of “eh” about today’s word. It was more difficult for me to decide how to use it. It’s not a pretty word, so I decided to make a not-so-pretty picture. Oh right, maybe I should tell you the word so you know what I’m talking about...

hag-gard  A worn-out, exhausted, and gaunt look, as from hunger or fatigue; appearing wasted by suffering or want.

See what I mean? I’m pretty sure no one wants to be described as looking “haggard”. But hey, you could be out there somewhere... The woman I drew today, unfortunately, came to look very haggard. (hey kids, don’t do drugs...actually...don’t be famous...actually...don’t have any issues...actually...don’t self-medicate...actually don’t even leave the house) Anyway, the woman I’m speaking of was named Christa Päffgen, or Nico.

Let me just say that I was born in 1995, which makes me (and kind of my parents) totally uncool-sounding when we talk about the sixties like we were there. But let me just say; I love the Velvet Underground, and I love Nico. That doesn’t change just because every other kid out there saw some indie movie and promptly downloaded a VU album from itunes. *cough...stupid "indie" kids...cough* Alright I’m getting off track here... What I’m trying to say is that this picture was drawn because of a scene in the documentary Nico:Icon. Partially shown in this video:

I had always seen pictures of Nico as this young, mysterious, beautiful woman. This movie really made me reconsider the image I had of her, and how sad it was that she became what she did. It was painful for my image of her to go from this:  

To this:


I wanted to embody that feeling in this sketch, and “haggard” gave me the perfect opportunity. 


Okay...A LOT of buildup for a not-so-incredible sketch. But hey, either the writing is good or the art is good. You can't have both. Yet. 
xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment