5.13.2011

Day One Hundred Fifty Five

Yesterday's post-delayed by the temporary issues with Blogger.com:

So, three days and counting...no sign of the dictionary. Not that I’ve put much effort into looking for it, if I’m being honest. It’s one of those back- back- back- back-burner things that you really mean to do, but can’t seem to remember until you fall into bed at night. You know the type. Oh, well. Tomorrow is another day.

I spent most of today doing various art projects. I managed to print a new piece on wood. I’m liking this silkscreen & wood combination. I hope to complete another piece tomorrow with another one of my recent sketches. I feel like such a pretentious artist saying this, but I churned out a series of kind of a darker, more intricate style while listening to a new album. As much as I want to gag as I type this, something about the music kind of pulled it out of me. Blugh! Anyways, I spent the day silkscreening and working on a collage project for a class I’m attending. This is relevant because it leads up to today’s piece, so just bear with me here.

So, time for our word. This thesaurus is starting to irk me...it’s just so condescending or persnickety... or something. I don’t know. I don’t like it.

crease v. double, rumple, plait; see fold 2, wrinkle



So, finding myself in need of some text to integrate into the background of my collage piece, I decided to pull the typewriter out of storage. Wanting to really be able to get the text without the look of paper, I used tissue paper in the typewriter. This went surprisingly well, after I got the hang of it, and I ended up with a translucent piece of writing.



This is mostly just a free-written rant, but I liked it from an aesthetic perspective. Anyways, upon discovering today’s word, I was reminded of the way the paper creased and buckled in the typewriter, and of the pile of mistakes that grew on the floor around me as I typed. Drawing from a photograph I’d taken on film a while back, I decided to illustrate this scene.




This came out very sketchy, and I’d like to have had the contrast a little greater so you could make out the keys a bit better. I like the freedom of drawing this way, though.

I hope you enjoyed today’s post; thanks for reading!

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment