8.31.2011

Day Two Hundred Sixty Seven


It was sooper hot today.
Did anyone else notice that?
Not okay, Kansas, not okay.

Mid-afternoon found me curled up in the back stacks of the library
on an air conditioning vent.
I returned home, coughing like an elderly man with pneumonia (okay...not really), made cookies (yes, really), and then settled down to work on some art.

shade tree n. A type of tree which is grown for the purpose of providing shade.



After coming across someone today, I couldn’t have asked for a more relevant word. Well, I could’ve...but I wouldn’t have gotten one.




This word made me think of long afternoons in the park, lounging there with you...just content to exist. It made me think of that moment when you look up at the sky, and the branches of each tree are so long and full that they almost form one layer.
I remembered opening my eyes; kind of sleepy from the sun
and looking up into that layer of thick green leaves made bright and transparent by the warm light.
It was cool there in the shade and I knew, as I lay under the trees, that I should treasure it much more than I had.
That’s the way it goes, though, and there’s nothing to do but keep going forward.

Xx
r

No comments:

Post a Comment