8.05.2011

Day Two Hundred Forty One

Well, I can’t say the gloom has really lifted.
 I mean, it has somewhat, I guess.
Anyway, I spent half of today working on a new (now largely solo) project, and the other half on the floor, drinking coffee and complaining about the same new (now largely solo) project.
That’s okay, though. Moving on.

Which provides the perfect transition to today’s word.

dis-gust v. To affect with nausea, repugnance, or aversion; to cause one to become impatient or lose attention. n. A marked aversion to something distasteful; repugnance.



Disgust may be too strong a word for the feeling I’ve been struck with lately, but hey...the dictionary made its choice.

So, this word got me thinking about passion, and drive, and ambition. It’s interesting to watch, as people get older, the paths they choose. As the young find themselves at a crossroads; the end of school...when reality is just starting to hit.
It’s a hard place to find yourself in; I’m lucky to have another couple of years before I’m faced with that.
I find, though, that I see so many who aren’t scared enough by reality; they aren’t pissing their pants at the prospect of adulthood. This calm isn’t from a place of stability or confidence, though, but from a place of refusal. A refusal to pack up and make something of themselves.
I’m not saying you have to ship off to college, or go out and get a minimum-wage job to be worthwhile-far from it. But do something. Find out what you love, and throw everything you’ve got after it.
I can’t fight battles that don’t involve me, though, and I can’t make choices for anyone other than myself.
The conclusion, then, is to walk away. Whether out of disgust, or love, or shame, or frustration...or a combination of any of the above...



Looking out for yourself and your own life is what, in the end, matters most. (Unless you have kids...then it pretty much rips that piece of wisdom to shreds. So, piece of wisdom #2...don’t ever have kids.)

Well, that’s my bit of conceited nonsense for the evening.

Xx
r

2 comments:

  1. I am so truly, deeply and madly in love with you > Thank god for Leonard Cohen that I got pregnant with you , grew you like a little edamame and gave birth to you even though I was half paralyzed and couldn't even move my lips. You made me feel like I was a goddess. Wait, i am a goddess, I am your mother. You are ...what can I say...I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a shining light Miss R. And I love you truly.

    ReplyDelete