6.11.2011

Day One Hundred Eighty Six

I’d gone to bed last night with a desperate frustration. I’ve been working my way through a bit of an artistic funk-trying to come up with a solid idea for this super 8 movie. (No relation to the upcoming Super 8 movie, although that has certainly done a number on my Google search results for information about super 8 film...curse you, JJ Abrams.) Anyway, I’d gone to bed mulling over this issue, and becoming increasingly frustrated with trying to come up with some form of idea or script. This morning, although it is not complete or even, possibly, usable, something came to me. As I gained consciousness, I became aware that I was mumbling a stream of words. I quickly grabbed my trusty notebook and pen, and scrawled what I could before I began to forget it. Inspiration, in the form of writing, does not come to me often. When it does, though, it comes suddenly and without explanation. Today was one of those rare bursts of inspiration, and I spent the rest of the day editing-working back and forth between pen and typewriter. (Somehow, it makes it easier to edit something that has been typed out and is clean.) I like looking back through the versions of this piece to see it as it evolves.



I won’t reveal the final version of this yet. For one, it hasn’t been written, and two; I haven’t made up my mind as to the quality of this work Ah, well, let’s continue on.

I really liked today’s word-it got me to thinking about my family, and the collection of brothers I’ve got going. It’s strange when we’re out and about, all of us. We’re all very different; equally weird in unique ways.

mot-ley adj. Composed of a variety of components.



I decided to illustrate the (future) difference between my brother Jasper and me. Because we have very different fathers (mine, 5’6; his, 6’2) the difference between us is already striking. Although he is barely 6 years old, there is one shoe size and two pants sizes difference between the two of us. He’s long-legged, with white blond hair; an outrageous extrovert-my opposite in many ways. “Motley” made me think about the love I have for my brothers, and how I cannot wait to see the men they become.



I really enjoy the way this one came out. Neither of the characters looks quite like us, but I think they embody us in a sense.

Well, I think I’d better finish up this post now; maybe I’ll get to bed at a decent hour.

Thanks for reading, everyone.

Xx
-r

No comments:

Post a Comment